Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Informal Presentation Reflection


Informal Presentation Reflection

            The informal presentation primarily focused on the background information of the SeaPerch ROV project, the team design brief, my individual design brief and the alternative solutions for the challenge and task at hand. The presentation began with an introduction of and a little background information about ROV’s and the SeaPerch Deepwater Challenge. After the introduction, both the team design brief and individual design was given. Alternative solutions were presented last, four different solutions were shown.

            The presentation was very strong in areas such as formal dress wear, a loud speaking voice, pertinent visuals and an ample amount of clear differing alternate solutions. A suit and tie that fit well were worn for the presentation to display that the presentation had a formal and professional feel. The presentation was also easily audible for the audience during the entire duration of the presentation. Throughout the video, the presentation could be easily heard and understood. The entire presentation also used pertinent and relevant visuals in every single category possible. The background information was filled with multiple images of ROV’s in action, the people who consistently use ROV’s the places ROV’s are used and images of the SeaPerch ROV challenge. Additionally, at least three images were shown for each alternate solution. The alternate solutions also displayed clear evidence that each solution was unique and offered different approaches to solve the same group of problems. Shape, size and materials differed from each solution.

            The strongest point of the presentation was the amount of visuals for the alternate solution. Each alternate solution during the presentation had at least three different views for the overall solution. These views included a front, side and overhead view of the alternate solution. Some solutions also had isometric views to represent the three dimensional shape of the ROV frame. Using multiple views during the presentation allowed the audience to understand how each solution differed in shape, materials and equipment.

            Although the alternative solution section of the presentation contained many relative visuals and images, other areas of the presentation lacked necessary visuals to help the audience properly understand the purpose of the project. The introduction had many visuals to actual ROV’s and how they were relevant in the real world; but, more images were needed to portray the actual SeaPerch ROV project. To help the audience of the presentation to further understand the mission and goal of the exact SeaPerch ROV deepwater challenge further images and visuals of amateur ROV simulations and live simulation photos of ROV SeaPerch simulations were needed.

            Although the presentation was strong in areas of number of images and a loud speaking voice, other areas of the presentation were either missing or lacking. The conclusion was the weakest part of the presentation because it was almost completely missing from the presentation.  The presentation did conclude with a closing but the presentation lacked an overall summation of the areas covered. Frankly, the presentation only included a closing. A quick summary of the presentation was completely absent.

            For the next presentation, improvement of the conclusion is needed. The informal presentation also paid too much attention to the background information so the next presentation needs to spend less time describing the background information. The next presentation also needs to be much cleaner and smooth in terms of speaking. The informal presentation contained too many frequent “ums” and “uhs”. Lastly, to speed up looking for images, multiple tabs with the images already opened from the blog can be up to minimize the time used looking for images and photos of ROV’s or the SeaPerch simulation.

            From watching my own presentation I realized that presentation delivery and style were not nearly as fine tuned as expected. Numerous different awkward pauses and “ums/uhs”  were present that weakened the overall appeal of the presentation. The presentation also was much too fast, the background information took too long to present which dragged out the presentation and caused the speed to increase. Lastly, I did not clearly answer some of the audiences’ questions properly and thoroughly. For example, Joe’s question about buoyancy calculations was not properly answered and caused more confusion about the testing of pool noodles.

            All in all, I realized through watching the video that the presentation needs improvement on areas such as speed, a proper clean speaking style, a well formed summary and conclusion, and having less emphasis on background information. Watching the video and other presentations allowed me to visualize and properly prepare for the next presentation. One essential piece of knowledge gained from the video was the ability to see my own presentation style. With this knowledge I can improve the delivery of information and ideas to the audience.

 

Rate the following using 4 as the highest score. Place a check or X in the brackets that best reflects your
4
3
2
1
0
I definitely dressed to impress with business clothing and shoes.
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I started my introduction with an image related to my project. The image was appropriate and beneficial for audience.
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I provide my name, yearly status, school, course and project title in a clear commanding voice.
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I used a visual to clarify the problem situation.
Visuals were interesting.
Visuals were clear and easy to see from a distance.
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I clearly describe what will be designed and modeled or prototyped by the team as a whole, what it should do, the operator if applicable, in/under what conditions, when the solution would be used and what constraints are being imposed.
I included an image of the testing site of the final team product.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I used a visual to clarify the problem situation.
Visuals were interesting.
Visuals were clear and easy to see from a distance.
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I clearly describe what I will design and model or prototype as my portion of the project, what it should do, the operator if applicable, in/under what conditions, when the solution would be used and what constraints are being imposed.
I included an image of the testing site of the final team product.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I used visuals to clarify the problem situation.
Visuals were interesting.
Visuals were clear and easy to see from a distance.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I identified a number of workable solutions with the use of visuals.  I discussed all options without discussing the selected solutions.
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I summarized my presentation describing me product expectations my solution. (Specifications)
I recapped the alternate solutions using a visual for clarity.
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
I indicated that I was done speaking.
I indicated that I was willing to answer questions.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I kept a clear and easy-to-understand speaking voice throughout
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I kept a good speaking voice volume throughout.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I was well-prepared and understood my topic.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I planned what I was going to say and my plan was helpful
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
I followed my notes, but did not have to read my speech word-for-word.
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
I answered questions that the audience asked completely and thoroughly.
[ ]
[ ]
[x]
[ ]
[ ]
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment